About Jaana Ensemble
Jaana band led by Mahsa Golmakani started its activities in Toronto in spring 2016. The main core of this band is composed of a group of talented female musicians based in Toronto.
Mahsa has always envisioned collaborating with women artists. She made the dream come true by establishing “Jaana Ensemble” consist mainly of women with the purpose of demonstrating their abilities and employing talents. She currently acts as Jaana music director. Since 2016 the ensemble performed different music activities such as:
- September 2016: “Morgh-e-Lahooti”, Jaana Ensemble’s first music video was released. The music video was viewed more than 700,000 times on Radio Javan
- March 2017: Performed in Tirgan Festival, the most well-known Iranian festival in North America
- November 2017: Jaana ensemble and Sina Sarlak went on tour in US and held concerts in San Jose, Los Angeles, Washington D.C. and New York. Sina Sarlak is amongst well-known Iranian traditional music singers.
- February 2018: A documentary was produced by “Sounds of Canada”, a program on national Canadian Television. The documentary addressed Iranian music, telling the story of Jaana Ensemble as a representative of Iranian female artists
- March 2018: Jaana performed as a guest musician in Voice of America’s (VOA) Norooz program
- November 2018: Conducted a successful concert event at “Richmond Hill Centre for the Performing Arts”, Canada
- March 2019: Performed in Washington D.C. on International Women’s Day
- September 2019: Jaana Ensemble released their second music video, called “Inner Secret”
- November 2019: A documentary was produced starring Jaana Ensemble focusing on the achievements of immigrant female artists
- January 2020: A new music video called “New Dawn” was released by Jaana Ensemble. The piece attracted a lot of attention among viewers
- March 2020: Acted as a guest artist in Voice of America’s New Year program for two consecutive years